Last Updated on July 26, 2022 by SulaBeauty Staff
Many women want to maintain their appearance during pregnancy but are unsure whether they can get acrylic nails. All women love the idea of having attractive, long, and pretty nails. But at the time of pregnancy, many women think a hundred times before going for anything. This article will explore the safety of getting acrylic nails while pregnant.
If you are pregnant, the only question that might be haunting you is, ‘Is it safe to go for acrylic nails while pregnant?’ Right? Don’t worry; we have got you covered.
Here, we will clear all your doubts related to the question ‘Can you get acrylic nails while pregnant?’. So to learn about it in detail, keep reading further.
Can You Get Acrylic Nails During Pregnancy?
Each women’s body behaves differently while pregnant. Some women start to have stronger nails than usual, and some might have weaker than before.
In the case of stronger nails going for acrylics can be a good idea, but in the case of weaker nails, your nail might become even weaker if you get acrylic nails done.
Acrylic nails release some amount of fumes which can make you feel dizzy or nauseous. So if you are wearing acrylic nails while pregnant, make sure to stay cautious.
You can wear masks while getting them done. Make sure the nail salon you went to has a good amount of ventilation present. Ask your nail technician to allow you to take breaks in between for some fresh air.
Occasionally, going for nail manicures and acrylic nails during pregnancy may not cause any harm. But there will be a little problem for the nail tech staff. If you are a nail technician and pregnant, you must stay extra careful.
Ensure that your nail salon provides a safe work environment for you and your baby. Like a well-ventilated room to work, certain equipment for protection like good quality masks and gloves.
It will be best to try and reduce your exposure to acrylic nails as much as possible during your pregnancy if you are a working nail tech.
Complications and Side Effects of Using Acrylic Nails During Pregnancy
Getting occasional artificial nails isn’t that big of an issue during pregnancy. Also, there haven’t been any proven risks involved in it as well. So you don’t have to worry in that respect.
The only problem is if you are exposed to these chemicals for a long time when applying acrylic nails, they might become harmful to you.
- Certain studies have found a relationship between a nail technician who is working and having specific development abnormalities in their babies.
- Some pregnancy symptoms can aggravate because of certain nail products. Another study has found that skin allergy, headache, nausea, and skin irritation can be higher because of using nail hardeners.
- Also, exposure to acetone might increase the chances of miscarriages and abortions.
- There can be increased chances of fungal and bacterial infections since acrylic nails have artificially adhered to the nails.
Safety Precautions While Getting Acrylic Nails During Pregnancy
The good news for you is that there have not been any proven risks involved if you go for occasional treatment of fake nails. But there is no harm in staying safe? Isn’t it? As they say, ‘precaution is always better than cure.’
So here we have shared with you some tips that will help you stay safe.
- After getting your acrylic nails done at the salon or at home, always wash your hands thoroughly to remove all the chemicals from your hands. This way, you will reduce the chances of ingesting them to a minimum.
- Ask your nail technician to use less toxic or chemical-free nail polish and other safe products for your nails.
- Go for home manicures as much as possible instead of salon manicures, and try to apply acrylic nails at home by booking home appointments with your nail tech.
- Never forget to wear a mask. This step is equally vital if you are getting acrylics done as a customer or you are a pregnant nail technician. Wearing a mask will save you from any dangerous fumes released during the process.
- Enquire about the nail products your nail technician will use and check their ingredients. Stay away from those containing harmful chemicals.
- Ensure the salon and the nail technician you choose have a license or certification.
- Before starting the procedure, ensure your technician wears a new set of gloves to reduce the chances of infections later.
- Instead of cutting your cuticles, ask your nail tech to push them back gently. Pushing your cuticles back will ensure the safety of your nail beds from any sort of bacteria or infections.
- Ensure all the types of equipment used are sterilized properly. Your nail technician should not use the same buffers, sticks, and non-metal files again. It is best to carry your own nail tools if you can.
- It is best not to get artificial nails done during the first three months of your pregnancy.
- Booking morning sessions in your nail salons will be best as fewer fumes are released in the morning compared to later in the day.
- Make sure wherever your false nails procedure is being done is a well-ventilated area.
Thus, to sum up, getting fake nails done while pregnant can be a bit challenging. But with the right knowledge you got from this article, you can ensure your safety and, at the same time, flaunt beautiful and pretty-looking nails.
Just take all the necessary precautions mentioned in this article, and you will be good to go. Exposure to manicure toxic chemicals once during pregnancy wouldn’t be that big of a deal if you take care of your natural nails and the rest of the precautions that protect you from any fungal or bacterial infection.
So leave all your worries aside and give your natural nail a makeover by going for acrylic nails today. Stay happy, beautiful, pretty, and safe always. All the best:)