Last Updated on October 19, 2022 by SulaBeauty Staff
Anyone can get a broken nail at any point in their life. When the nail breaks at the edges, it doesn’t create any problem. But when it breaks inside the nail bed, it causes pain and sometimes bleeding in many people.
Wearing artificial nails can help greatly to repair the broken natural nail. Acrylic nails give a lot of strength and time to the broken nail to regain its shape. They also stop making the broken nail situation worse until it returns to normal long nails and can be trimmed.
An expert nail tech will guide you on the best ways to deal with the entire situation. They will help you to get acrylic nails done the right way.
Contents on this page
- Can You Get An Acrylic Nail On A Missing Fingernail?
- How to Fix a Broken Nail Using Acrylics?
- How to Put Acrylic on a Broken Nail?
- How does Long Will Acrylics need to Stay on a Broken Nail?
- How Do You Cover Up A Lost Fingernail?
- How to Remove Acrylics on a Broken Nail?
- How Much is It to Fix a Broken Nail?
Can You Get An Acrylic Nail On A Missing Fingernail?
Missing fingernails can affect your confidence greatly as a missing fingernail is easily visible, and you cannot hide it like your toenail. But the good news is that you can easily get acrylics on missing fingernails as long as some nail is left to put it on.
But this is not an option you should go for as some risks are involved. There are very high chances of getting an infection. In extreme cases, when the infection is not treated correctly, there can be even chances of amputation.
How to Fix a Broken Nail Using Acrylics?
The fixing procedure is almost the same whether you remove it at home or in the nail salon. A few different methods are followed when a broken nail has to be fixed using acrylic.
The method to use depends on the breaking area, the crack’s intensity, and if and how you want to keep the shape and length of the nail.
Breaking the nail at the free edge follows a different method of fixing, and when it gets inside the nail bed, then different. We have discussed both of them here for your better understanding:
If the nail breaks at the free edge:
The repair process is quite simple here since no bleeding or soreness is present. You need to follow the following steps:
- Firstly cleaning is essential. Clean the natural nail with the help of alcohol.
- In case you want to increase the length of the nail, you can stick a nail tip with the help of glue. Then cut this nail tip to a suitable length you wish.
- Just shape your natural nail with the help of a nail file if you don’t want to increase its length.
- Use a nail file to remove the shine from the natural nail and eliminate all the extra dust.
- Now put a dehydrator and let it dry for a while.
- It’s time to apply an acrylic primer to prepare the nail base.
- Place the acrylic nails on top of the whole natural nail and let it dry till it completely solidifies.
- There will be some excess on the cuticle; clean all that up. Now give shape to the nail with the help of the nail file like the others.
- Now with a buffer, smoothen up the new nail as much as you want.
If the nail breaks or splits inside the nail bed area:
Here when a broken nail gets inside the nail bed area, there are also two conditions. One when the nail is strongly connected and the other when there is a long crack.
When the broken nails get inside your nail beds, here is what you can do:
- If the other nail part is still strongly connected, then the process of applying acrylics will be like the free edge.
- If there is a long crack where the outer part is hanging, in that case, place it first in position before applying your acrylic nails.
- Use a good amount of nail glue or acrylic bead to strongly put the hanging nail in its proper place. KDS Nail Glue for Professional Fake Nail Art & Design is a good option to use.
- Hold the nail until the bead becomes solid or the glue completely dries out in both cases.
- If the acrylic bead appears very thick or looks at a high position, bring it to the desired shape with the help of a nail file.
- Finally, you can correct this nail following the same process as you did in the case of free edge breakage as shared above.
How to Put Acrylic on a Broken Nail?
Nails usually break in two ways, one at the free edges, and sometimes it breaks apart and gets inside the nail bed. The acrylic nail placement in both cases follows a different method.
When it breaks at the free edge, you simply have to place the acrylic nails on the broken nail following the usual acrylic nail application procedure, which you are already aware of.
When the nail breaks, it separates and enters inside the area of the nail bed; then, first fix the loose hanging nail using an acrylic bead or nail glue. Then, follow the usual procedure of applying the acrylics above it.
How does Long Will Acrylics need to Stay on a Broken Nail?
The time totally depends on the location of the nail breakage.
It will take a period of around 2 to 4 weeks in the case of free edge breaking. The broken nail will need this much time to grow the same size as the others.
Now in the second case where the nail breaks and enters inside the nail bed, it will take around 4 to weeks for the crack to ultimately grow so that you can easily trim it.
How Do You Cover Up A Lost Fingernail?
There are other ways as well to cover up your lost fingernails, except for acrylics. Even though it will not look as pretty as fake nails, you can use a bandage, but it can still be a savior.
You can apply nail polish to it and make it look like a normal nail. It will also save your nails from infection, and you can protect them from further damage.
A bandage will also help your nail to grow and return to its normal nail shape. If you want your bandage to look like fake nails, many pretty options are also available on the market. Cut the bandage in the shape of other nails, and if you want, you can apply nail polish on top. It will give the illusion of just like a fake nail.
A bandage is a good option to cover up a lost fingernail, just like other fake nail options, and might confuse people, making them think they are your natural nails. CURAD Waterproof Bandage is a good nail bandage option currently available in the market.
How to Remove Acrylics on a Broken Nail?
The correct time to remove the acrylics from the broken nail is when the crack in the nail has reduced. You should follow the same removal procedure as in the case of regular acrylics.
The quickest and most effective way of removing acrylics is by dipping the fingernails in a warm acetone solution.
This will make the acrylics soft. Simply scrape it off with the help of a cuticle pusher or an orange wood stick. Keep scraping it every 5 minutes till all the acrylics are entirely removed.
Dip a cotton ball again in acetone and clean up the nail. Now properly wash your hands with normal soap and water.
How Much is It to Fix a Broken Nail?
Getting a broken nail is quite common, but sometimes it becomes quite bothersome for many. Especially when the nail brokes on a fingernail then, it affects the confidence of many women. This is because fingernails are always visible to everyone, and no matter how hard you try, you cannot just hide them away.
If your broken nail is not bleeding, you can easily go to a nail salon to fix it with the help of acrylics.
The best part is that even the removal cost is not that high. You can easily remove them at an affordable price range of 3 to 5 dollars. Isn’t it great?
You can easily get rid of all the pain and also reduce the chances of infection in such a reasonable amount.
You can even try some extra nail salon services and pamper yourself by getting a manicure or a pedicure. So forget all your worries in case you have got your nails broken.
Thanks to the acrylics, you can easily take care of them now and stop them from getting any worse. You can easily make your entire nail which is broken, look like just your other nails with the help of acrylics.
So now, coming to an end, what all did you learn today? You learned all about the solutions to fix your broken nails with the help of acrylics, and we hope you got the right solutions that you were looking for.
You learned about fixing your nails in both conditions:
- Breaking on the free edge and
- When the nail gets inside the nail bed area
You got to know about what is the right procedure and what should be done in both cases. You got step-by-step solutions for fixing broken nails when the nails break at the free edge and when it enters the nail bed area. The only time you have to stay cautious is in the case of a completely missing fingernail.
We would advise you to wait before you get acrylic done until your nails grow a little. It is best to avoid getting them fixed by acrylics until they grow to some length, as it might increase your chances of getting an infection.
You might also bear some severe consequences in case the infection is not treated at the right time. If the infection increases, you might also lose your entire finger to stop the infection from spreading to the entire body.
So stay safe and carefully make your decision to get acrylic. Take advice from an expert nail technician in a reputed nail salon before making any decision yourself.